You may have noticed that golf wedges come in many different lofts. But which one is the best to chip with around the green?
Unfortunately, there is no “one” wedge that is best to use around the green. Each golf shot is different and may require a different loft in order to create a different result on the green.
To answer this question in more detail, I am going to break down options of when you can use each style wedge so you can better understand which degree wedge to use and when!
Here is a great video from the Top Speed Golf Youtube channel where they talk about when to use different wedges around the green.
- I recommend if you have a few minutes to take a quick look at when to use different wedges around the green.
A pitching wedge has a loft of around 45-49 degrees and is usually included in a standard iron set. Here is when I think it is best to use a pitching wedge to chip with around the green:
- If your golf ball is just off the green by about 10 yards and the ground is relatively flat, try using a pitching wedge to keep the golf ball lower to the ground so it can run out towards the hole.
Sand Wedge/ Lob Wedge
A sand wedge has a loft of about 54-57 degrees. A lob wedge has a loft of around 58-64 degrees. Depending on if there are any hills or obstacles in your way, it might be best to use a sand wedge or lob wedge to pop the golf ball up into the air and land softly onto the green.
- Also, if your golf ball is in the rough, I recommend using a sand wedge or lob wedge so that the club can slide underneath the ball and get you onto the green
Wait, this isn’t a wedge? I wanted to mention the putter because it is often overlooked when golfers are just off of the green.
- If your golf ball is 3-5 yards off the green and there isn’t any long grass between you and the hole, I would recommend that you just putt towards the hole. The putter will keep the ball nice and low and will help minimize any possible mishits with a wedge
Find Your Favorite Wedge
Eventually, after play golf for a while, you are going to find wedges that make you more confident around the green. Once you find a wedge you like, keep using it!
For me, it is my 56-degree wedge. I can hit almost any type of shot that I want around the green with my 56 because I love the way the club feels.
- If you have the time, check out my article on my favorite golf wedges for beginners. I go into detail on my pick to best help beginning golfers around the green.